Monday, February 25, 2008

"Mess is the motor of creativity"

I realized why I don’t throw anything away. Everything is so beautiful. Everything is too beautiful to throw away. Too enrapturing to say, “Oh, this isn’t worth anything anymore” and dump it in the trash. Every cardboard box, ever trinket found in the street while going on a walk on a warm day, every clipping from a magazine – it’s all beautiful. I can’t bring myself to through away the Chinese fortune I found in my fortune cookie last year – the fortune that gave me hope during a really hard time in my life (it’s now taped to my mirror). My messy bedroom is filled with inspiration. The jumble of hemp on the edge of my dresser reminds me to find time in my schedule to do crafts for other people. A copy of a short story of mine lies on an old vinyl on the floor next to a pile of novels, magazines, and poetry books and encourages me to keep the pen moving and continue to pour onto pieces of paper. A giant collage of magazine pictures and quotes on the back of my door excited me about my future, my career, and the home I will have. My room is messy, my life can be messy, and I like it that way.

1 comment:

ceichy said...

Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless; peacocks and lilies for instance. - John Ruskin

I love this quote, I love your blog, and I feel like they go together. So here they are. Keep this quote too! Add it to the mess!